POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images :  : Re: Another =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?Boull=3DE9e_architecture?=3D Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?Boull=3DE9e_architecture?=3D
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 Oct 2009 07:05:01
Message: <web.4acf17e085ed91266dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
> > Ambient? No ambient. Only radiosity and some fog. Display gamma at 2.2. no
> > assumed gamma. rendered in 3.7
>
> Hmm it looks bright to be too. Funny thing is it seems to look
> better to me when applying the inverse gamma correction of 0.45,
> so I wonder if there is any way the correction is applied twice.

I too have noticed this about your images, Thomas. I have come to think of it as
an aspect of your image style, your POV 'personality' as it were!

It usually looks as if your fog distance is a little small. However, juggling
fog distance to minimise washout and get the best depth cues (and/or sky
gradient) is not easy. I've got it wrong before - in an effort to get a hazy
atmosphere I think I overly washed out my chess-based RTC image from a while
back. (My main problem is that my laptop screen is damaged, so brightness is
uneven across its surface, and, coupled with the usual viewing-angle variations,
makes it difficult for me to judge image brightness.)

Bill